Old January 4th 05, 03:42 PM
André Somers

Peter Millenaar wrote:

I noticed one thing: The ASK-21 in your video has "braces" (Dunno
what they are properly called) inside the canopy
Is that a question of age or some special modification?

These bars are a protection against the barbed wires (when
outlanding). There have been deadly accidents with gliders that hadn't
got these and outlanded it a too short field (not in our glidingclub I
believe).

So that's why all of our club's gliders have one installed.

These protective bars even used to be mandatory for all Dutch gliders. This
is no longer the case however. The bars did save some pilots for
decapitation however when hitting a wire fence.

André