Old December 29th 03, 08:02 AM
Fantsu

"Phoebus_810" wrote in message
m...
Eric Greenwell wrote in message

Charles Yeates wrote:
Maybe it is simply an ergonomics thing --- I feel more comfortable
circling to the right in clutch situations simply because it is easier
to pull and adjust rather than push and adjust in right turns.

For me, it's just habit: when I was learning to fly, we'd always get off
tow in a thermal; since we'd always depart tow with a turn to the right,
it was easiest to just continue turning right in the thermal.

For a few flights before a contest, I'll make an effort to fly at least
half my thermals to the left, so I'm ready for the left turns required
at US contests near the start and at turnpoints.

In Finland we consider it aerobatics to fly right turn in a termal.

Eh..then we don't fly in the same Finland

Most competition pilots at least can fly them bothways, though near the
airfield in comps turning left is obligatory (and it's also the way to get
away from the tug)