Old October 8th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_6_]

Default Commodious Sailplane?

Yes; it's really as much a safety issue as comfort, as flap or spoiler
handles are usually pinned somewhere behind my knee. The stick's
range-of-motion can be impeded as well. The Std. Sirrus sounds good under
$20K. I'm searching out all others mentioned here as well.
Thanks to all who've posted!
Jim Hultman

wrote in message
ups.com...
It's surprising what you can fit in if you really want to! I'm 5-10,
about 250, and fit in my LS-6 perfectly. Of course, there is no room
to spare at all - forget folding a sectional inflight - and wearing
heavy clothes for winter or wave flying is probably out of the
question, but for where I fly (shorts and t-shirt, perhaps jeans and a
windbreaker) it works.

Makes it feel like an F-1 race car - no room to rattle around!

Ventus B's and LS-4s are huge by comparison.

A PIK-20, OTOH, is tight - narrow, which makes the flap handle hard to
use; and I haven't found a chute that I can wear in it.

The chute can make a big difference, so be sure include that in your
gear when you try a cockpit on for size.

Good luck!

66