Old January 9th 05, 11:58 PM
Jim Burns

Hey Jim,

I used the dauntless software to prep for a few written tests. There is no
chat server however the owner is a CFI and does answer questions via email
although the timeliness isn't very good. There is a written sign off
available after you present them with several practice tests but I think
there is an additional $25 charge for the signoff. The dauntless programs
basically help you study to take the test, they don't teach you the
material, that is what I was after and I found them very effective. Unless
they have changed, I would not send a green student to their site and expect
them to come away with "knowledge" of the subject matter.

Having said that, about a year ago I created a Instrument Ground School
based on Gleim's Instrument Study Guide and found it a great way to hit
every subject in a manner that "flows" and that uses the FAA verbiage that
is repeated in the FAA questions. It provided me with a terrific skeleton
to ad additional power point slides, movie and audio clips, as well as real
life experiences. After each class I referred the students to the dauntless
or Gleim test prep software to practice taking the questions. For this I
liked dauntless better than Gleim because dauntless' interface allowed
viewing charts directly across from the test question, I believe Gleim opens
another window with the chart and takes a lot of moving around to view the
entire chart.

I burned CD's of the entire power point presentation that also included
extra videos, web material, and magazine articles. Copies of the CD's were
made available to the students for additional study so a student had several
options depending on their level of need and understanding. When next weeks
class rolled around, we covered the previous weeks FAA test questions and
answered any questions the students had. All in all it really worked well.
I could envision the same style format working online.

Depending on how sophisticated you wanted to make it, you could limit access
to the next subject area to only those who have passed a previous subject
via an acceptable test score on that subjects FAA questions.

Just an idea.

Jim Burns

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
And, it says nothing about being interactive via a weekly update meeting

on
the chat server, a direct line to the instructor for questions, and most
important, nothing about a written signoff at the end of the trail. I

know,
there is provision for "home study", but you've got to convince the

examiner
that you actually took the class. A signature is much more effective.

Jim

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote in message
Yes it has here
http://www.dauntless-soft.com/

That is 3 times more than he is wanting to charge.