Old June 3rd 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Digital altimeters

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 6:13:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 2:13:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Tried of the 57mm Winter altimeter being too inaccurate even after being re-calibrated. Being EXPERIMENTAL, going to look into digital.

Going to look at MGL Vega ASV-1 first as it displays altitude and airspeed. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html

Anyone had experience with this specific make/model?

Its hard to find specific guidance for instruments in experimental gliders within the maze of FAA regulations, but as a practical matter, I found my Winter compact altimeter calibration was inadequate for safely flying close to restricted airspace, even after factory recalibration, so I took it out and use my CAI and LX altimeters, which have excellent calibration.

I use a calibrated Winter 57mm altimeter and regularly fly near or in Restricted airspace. The ALT display in the TT22 is a more important thing there..
Jim