Old August 26th 05, 10:12 PM
Roy Bourgeois

It is interesting to see how this thread changed from a response to a
simple request for opinions about the advisability of flaps on a first ship
- to a discussion of "how to land with flaps" then "It's OK to retract
flaps on landing - because I did it" So let me please add a note of
caution to the new pilot readers: 1) Flight/ground instruction should be
done in person and by somebody who knows you and the specific glider you
are learning to fly. 2) Read and understand the POH for the glider you are
about to fly - it is more reliable than Internet postings. 3) Accept that
retracting the flaps on approach is a very dangerous maneuver for the new
pilot and the observation that some highly experienced pilots can do it
safely does not mean that you should try it.

Roy B. CFI