Old April 24th 20, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Our New Club Ship Becoming Reality

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 22:26:16 -0700, krasw wrote:

ASK 21 is a bear to fly and hugely overrated. It's only pros are it's
ability to not spin and perfectly balanced main wheel location for great
ground handling. Why not buy a glider that is actually fun to fly and
performs for the same money?

ASK-21s do spin: don't let anybody tell you they won't.

I did my pre-solo spin training on one, *without* the tail weight, though
admittedly neither the instructor or myself were heavy people and it
needed a fair amount of persuasion to spin. You need a minimum energy
entry: set it up fully stalled in a straight line with the stick on the
back stop, full rudder until its rolled 45 degrees and then put the stick
in the opposite rear corner, and it rolls wings vertical as it starts to
spin. Recovery is normal.

I still don't fully understand why we used the ASK-21 for my spin
training, though: the club had, and still has, a Puchacz and I was very
familiar with both the ASK-21 and the Puchacz at the time.

Spinning a K-21 at Boulder, CO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5iaLGmkuN0

--
Martin | martin at