Old March 8th 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Danewid

Default motorgliders as towplanes

In Sweden it is quite common to use Super Dimonas as tugs and we tow two
seaters with no problem. Climb rate is like a 150 hp PA-18. But the
ground run is a bit longer.

The big advantages are less fuel consumption and that that you can tow
with a gliding license only.

Robert
ASW 28-18E
RD

Brad skrev:
I know this has come up before in RAS. But thought I would bring up
the subject again.

For a club looking at long term projections, which at some point will
include either sticking a "new" engine on a Pawnee or getting rid of
it, does it make sense to start evaluating getting a 2 place
motorglider to serve as a tug and also as a touring/training tool?

Can a MG tug pull a loaded 2 place Blanik on a standard day at SL,
from a 1800' grass strip? Or perhaps such a tug could be used to tow
the members single place ships, and the heavier/ 2-place ships stow
behind the clubs remaining pawnee?

We are blessed with 3 towplanes in our club, there are upcoming
factors that will/are causing us to look at several different
scenarios and am wondering if tossing a MG into the mix might be one
such solution.

Brad