Old November 7th 11, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Electronic Yaw Alarm?

There has been much needed focus on safety in our ranks recently, and
in particular the risk of spinning during the turn to final. This is
almost always caused by slow, uncoordinated flight. Many of us go
through the trouble of installing an electronic gear up warning to
prevent a costly, but less dangerous gear-up landing. Wouldn't a "Slip
Alarm" be at least as useful? Setting aside how it might be
implemented for the moment (and there are many possibilities), I can
imagine something that was activated when the spoilers were out, and
might or might not take into account IAS. It would simply give a
distinct tone or alarm with a certain degree of yaw. Yes, we slip on
final on purpose all the time, but we better not be doing it in the
turn to base or final.

Thoughts?

Matt