Old August 17th 17, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Temporarily operating a German registered glider in the US

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 at 10:57:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Dear US-gliding community,

it seems likely that I am going to spend about 2 year in the US (NJ area) starting next spring and I would like to bring my German registered glider along. Given it is for 2 years only, I would like to keep the ship under its German flag and keep any changes to glider and trailer to a minimum. This raises a couple of questions and I am hoping that some folks out here can provide some guidance

1) Import duties/taxes: Is there a procedure that exempts me from or minimizes US import taxes/duties? (I would bring it into the country as part of my household belongings, I paid full VAT in Germany on the ship and I do intend to bring it back and not to leave it in the US...) Uli Kremer of Schleicher mentioned a "carnet" but that would only cover 1 year after which the glider would have to leave the US again. Any thoughts?

2) Insurance: Does anybody have recent experience with an insurance that covers a D-glider within the US? Mine seems a bit reluctant....

3) Trailer: Unsurprisingly, the towing hitch and electric connection between the German trailer and US cars are not directly compatible. I am perfectly willing to exchange the hitch at the trailer itself for a US hitch but is there a way or adapter that "bridges" the electrical systems and allows legal traffic operations in the US?

4) Annual inspection: I am tempted to put the glider on a CAMO+ regime which only requires a physical inspection every 3rd year unless someone here is telling me that there is a D-Inspector (Pruefer Klasse 3) living in the East coast area.

Any fact based ideas? When I searched this forum, I did find some older bits and pieces, in particular from a "Thorsten" im CA and a "Michael" in PA who might already have mastered this little challenge but I couldn't find their personal contacts.

Any help or contacts are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Marc

Why do anything, keep the German registration, speak english, get a 50mm ball for 29 bucks and a seven pin connector. you should be good to go.