Old November 17th 05, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gear Warning

At 09:42 17 November 2005, im
Green wrote:
Ever seen a pilot with a fixation flying off the end
of the runway with
his gear going up and down instead of his spoilers?
Surprising how even
competent people can get caught out and flustered by
the unexpected. This
is a cost versus safety argument and you takes your
pick but BGA
recommendations are not cost-orientated.

No one, as far as I know, has ever been hurt while
landing wheel-up - but there have been a number of
injuries to those losing control while trying to lower
the u/c at the last minute.

I mentioned the fitting of a 'wheel-up/airbrakes out'
warning mechanism when I had my Jantar-3 refitted in
Poland.
They would not hear of it !

Oh - and it is quite possible to land wheel-up after
completing landing checks.
Believe me !

sta13.