Old June 20th 20, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Battery question

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 2:43:06 PM UTC-4, Delta8 wrote:
I would like to build a 5 volt system to run Kobo with Top Hat/GPS as
well as power my I phone with ForeFlight and a Stratux receiver for
ads-b in . I like the audio collision avoidance that ForeFlight provides
.
Currently using power banks but during long flights changing batteries
is a pain .
I don't have Flarm yet but planning on in the future.
I have a 14v SLA battery for everything else.
Am I better of searching for a larger power bank ? Biggest I've seen is
70,000 mAh .
I've seen ways to convert 12v to 5 but they seem like they will drain
battery life of the 12v .
Sorry for what may be a simple question with an obvious answer.

--
Delta8

Replace the SLA with LFP (lasts longer), and add a 12V-5V converter. A large "power bank" is basically the same thing (has a voltage converter inside) but is of the less-safe type of lithium battery. You don't want it catching on fire. Also you don't want it loose in the cockpit.