Old February 26th 15, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default CNVV question

Don:

I can at least answer the question about ordering dinner. First, learn some useful phrases including polite greetings and how to apologize in French. You'll find plenty of English speakers in most areas and they will be happy to help you when your French runs out. You'll get lots of bonus points for trying, though.

Just watch out for how locals utilize language. For example "merci", although translated as "thank-you" is often shorthand for "non merci" ("no thank you") when offered food at a table! Also watch out for some of the colloquial names for some dishes - they often don't translate well (think "pigs in a blanket", for example!)

Many years ago, I was deposited in a rural village with not one English speaker and just rudimentary French grammar from school. I didn't starve and had a great time. I keep going back to the country as I find France very civilized in comparison with some places I have lived. It's hard to find bad food.

Mike