Old August 9th 05, 09:23 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..
BUT I don't see how you could loosen it much without opening a ton of
loopholes that will be quickly used and will result in accidents that
cause a whole new set of even more stringent rules to be enacted.

No rule is free of loopholes. I posted elsewhere (a week ago?) my
proposal; it was essentially to go back to what we had twenty years ago. A
private pilot may accept compensation up to the total amount of the
flight, but no more. He is not required to make any minimum payment, but
the passengers may not pay more (in sum) than the flight costs. The pilot
cannot make a profit (in the dictionary sense).

I would add that all passengers must be informed that the flight is under
the "private pilot" rules, not the "commercial pilot" rules which are more
stringent in regards to safety. (I don't think that it is necessary to go
into what the rules really are - the point is to prevent
mis-representation of the venue)

At which point every PP looking to be an ATP stands at the airport offering
rides like a cab driver in aircraft that isn't anywhere close to the Part
135 standards.