Old July 5th 09, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default A fair opportunity to compete?

I was the weather guy and sniffer at Parowan and was airborne
observing launch conditions. Storm development near the airport
resulted in deteriorating conditions in the drop zone and the latest
pilots to launch were under heavy overcast with no lift. As noted,
several landed out. They did not "fail to find lift" as JJ alleges,
there wasn't any.

I was not involved in discussions about this with the CD or
competition committee, but, if asked, would have given my assessment
that the last aircraft to launch did not have a fair opportunity to
compete based on deteriorating weather conditions in all available
drop zones.

I might add that quite a few of the competitors who completed the task
were not thrilled with the decision to scrap the day, but at least
they exhibited good sportsmanship by accepting the decision in good
grace.

Mike