Old December 19th 04, 04:51 PM

Maybe in some circles, but Amoco unleaded gasoline has been called
"white gas"
in the South (at least) since I was born (also at least). It's called

that
because it's clear.

I remember when I was a kid that you could go to some gas
stations and buy "white gas" from a tank in the back room
(with a handcrank pump). We used it in a Coleman stove.
Then we found out that Amoco premium unleaded could be
used as well, so we used it thereafter (easier to find -
dunno if it was cheaper or not). This was in the '50s in
Ohio. BTW I still have that same Coleman stove, and it
still works.

I have heard that you can store avgas for extended periods -
and I have a way of finding out. I have a trail bike that
has been in storage for a long time (over 10 years). I always
ran it on avgas, and it still has some in the tank. When
I can find a battery for it I'll try starting it and let
you know what happens (was planning to get it going again
anyway).

David Johnson