Old May 20th 04, 04:16 AM
Maule Driver

Filing with FSS from the next nearest radio aid works pretty well for me.
Doesn't take a half hour and even if it does, Center or Approach will
generally give some sort of clearance pending the plan showing up.

NJ to FL - if you know you will run into some IMC why not file and fly IFR?
South of DC, IFR is as easy and almost as flexible as VFR. Makes it easier
to stay clear of all the Restricted space to the south and makes management
of MOAs easier.

And I tend to be pretty careful about penetrating "cumulus build-ups in
front of me", especially the further south I go. And If I'm going to go
play among the buildups, going IFR is the easiest way to get radar
advisories and it's the legal way to visually fly the cloud canyons that us
normally aspirated guys sometimes have to fly. The folks in places like JAX
center are totally on board with what you are doing and will give you every
chance to remain visual while IFR if that's an option on a given day.

Try to do it IFR and you may find it easier and more convenient, at least
south of DC.

""Stimbo" wrote in message
om...
What are the recommended procedures in obtaining an IFR clearance
enroute?

Flying from NJ to FL, I prefer to fly VFR, but undoubtedly I will
encounter IMC along the way. If I filed IFR in advance, it takes 1/2
hour or more to clear it through ATC. I obviously cannot wait 1/2
hour if I encounter IMC enroute.

Is there an "acceptable" procedure enroute if I start seeing a cumulus
build-up in front of me? Do I have to land and file? Do I file with
FSS and wait 1/2 hour before I open with Center? Can I file directly
with Center? Is this idea generally "frowned upon" by ATC?

I'm not necessarily looking for regulations as I am for practical
experiences that others have witnessed.

Thanks for any tips.

Stimbo
Medford, NJ