Old May 20th 04, 10:02 AM
Jeff

Since I live where the sun always shines, I very seldom pick up my IFR
clearance on the ground. If I think I may have instrument weather I file
a composite flight plan with FSS prior to taking off. I always do this
when going to southern california, then when I get to the point where I
think I will need it, I call LA center and tell them I have one on file
and would like pick it up.

the couple of times where I had no IFR flight plan on file, I asked the
controller if he wanted me to file it with FSS or if he could fix me up, I
only do this when the radio is not busy, LA center has never had a problem
with this, some places might tho. I have also called FSS in the air and
filed with them then got back on with center and picked up the clearance
within seconds of filing.
Basically for me the situation dictates the method used. I always fly VFR
with flight following, when I am ready to get my clearance or if I need
to file, I tell center I need to switch over to fligh****ch to file a IFR
flight plan, sometimes they will fix me up, other times say ok, report
back when done. when I report back, they already know who and where I am,
no need for fixes or anytrhing else.

It just varies with the controller and how busy they are. the only times I
run into problem is in the phoenix area. So far every other place has been
great, especially SoCal, those guys/girls are very good at what they do.

Stimbo wrote:

What are the recommended procedures in obtaining an IFR clearance
enroute?

Flying from NJ to FL, I prefer to fly VFR, but undoubtedly I will
encounter IMC along the way. If I filed IFR in advance, it takes 1/2
hour or more to clear it through ATC. I obviously cannot wait 1/2
hour if I encounter IMC enroute.

Is there an "acceptable" procedure enroute if I start seeing a cumulus
build-up in front of me? Do I have to land and file? Do I file with
FSS and wait 1/2 hour before I open with Center? Can I file directly
with Center? Is this idea generally "frowned upon" by ATC?

I'm not necessarily looking for regulations as I am for practical
experiences that others have witnessed.

Thanks for any tips.

Stimbo
Medford, NJ