Old December 10th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon[_4_]

Default AOPA reporting free GNSx30 WAAS software upgrade available

"Peter R." wrote in message
Just spotted this on AOPA's site:

Owners of Garmin's GNS400W and 500W models can now get a long-awaited WAAS
software upgrade that resolves many compatibility and functionality
problems
and gives users access to more XM WX satellite weather products, including
lightning, cell movement, and winds aloft.

The upgrade, which includes a new flight manual supplement and takes about
one hour to complete, is available at no cost, but access to the
additional
XM WX features will require an Aviator package subscription.

With the software upgrade users will get enhanced features that make it
easier to load arrival and departure procedures, reduce TAWS nuisance
alerts
for circling approaches, allow users to store up to 15 radio channels,
improve the auto-zoom function, and give better VNAV functionality during
holds.

Other changes correct winds aloft calculations, stop intermittent screen
flashing, and start the unit in the last mode used. Users will also see
improved compatibility and functionality with certain Stormscope, Avidyne,
and Honeywell products.

I *think* they are just talking about the XM Wx features and not the WAAS
upgrade itself (no matter how much I am hoping that I'm mistaken...)

Marco