Old March 31st 05, 12:35 AM

I had the same AH in my motor glider (but running on 12 volts, not 14)
and removed it after a few years and one very expensive overhaul. It
was just too unreliable. Never subject to mishandling, just highly
unreliable in my experience. Other pilots I've talked with have had
similar experiences. And there don't seem to be any "low cost" (under
$5k) electric AH's that are much better.

I now use the simulated AH on my Garmin 196 and am considering the new,
solid state varieties. Hopefully Bumper (aka Johnny the Morgan) will
comment on this as he has one and I think likes it a lot. I don't fly
clouds and want an AH purely for safety in the unlikely event I get
trapped above clouds that close in under me. Hasn't happened yet (knock
on wood), but I think about it.

Martin