Old January 22nd 19, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Great Basin Soaring

I responded to this Draft EIS about a month ago. I encourage others that may be impacted to do so as will - while the comment period is still open.
I thought I kept a copy of what I wrote, but I can't seem to find it. As others have suggested, I am willing to give them whatever MOA's they need. I just emphasized the negative impact the new restricted airspace would have on sailplane flights through the area, pointing out that narrow corridors between restricted areas do nothing for sailplanes that have to follow lift and maintain safe landing sites. I also pointed out that the new restricted areas are reaching out into commonly used sailplane transit areas. And finally, I pointed out that their outreach program had not reached far enough, with sailplanes coming through the area from many miles away.
JS, I don’t think the ATCAA’s are significant to us. These areas overlay the MOA’s. They’re all based at 18,000 and extend up from there. I think this just defines how they’ll manage IFR traffic though the area.
Mike Koerner