Old February 25th 19, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default high tow vs low tow

I flew at Valley Soaring for a while and did low tow. Worked fine. The only negative I heard was that the glider appears to be lower in the first critical phase of climb so it takes longer to get to the 200' safe 180 turnaround point. But I've also heard that low tow is more efficient because there's less/no trim drag from the towplane using up elevator to keep the tail down and therefore climbs faster. So perhaps it's a wash.

I'll move into low tow on cross-country aerotows if I've briefed the tow pilot or can communicate with him/her because it seems easier to hold position.

Yes, kiting a glider is going to upset the towplane regardless of the tow position. But at least if you're in low tow, you'll feel the wake as you pop up thru it, which provides an alert that might help prevent situations as was described in the NTSB report where the glider pilot may have taken his eye off the towplane for a few seconds.

Chip Bearden