Old December 29th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default 4130 can't be OA welded?

On Dec 29, 8:09 am, "Anyolmouse" wrote:
wrote in message

| On Dec 28, 6:28 pm, "Anyolmouse" wrote:
|
| For many years that was the only approved method. Then along came
TIG
| welding.
|
| American Champion has been using MIG for years now. Quicker
| and easier than TIG. But their tubing tends to be heavier, too, which
| makes MIG an easy option.
|
| Dan

I didn't know that it was approved for aircraft.

It's approved by manufacturer's drawings. The manufacturer
will call for welds as per their own welding specs, and those specs
plus the airframe drawings are approved by the FAA. We sometimes find
industrial hardware or other "uncertified" parts on airplanes, and
they're approved by their presence on the drawings. For example,
American Champion uses a cheap industrial clip nut on their cowling
installations that has no locking feature and it's really soft so it
cross-threads easily. And is forever falling off or sliding out of
place. This is fixed using the minor modification provisions of the
applicable country's aircraft maintenance laws, replacing those stupid
things with real aircraft hardware.

Dan