Old August 15th 05, 05:33 AM
Bart D. Hull

I use a 1/4 watt resistor (pick you favorite Ohm.) to light
off model rocket engines so the "fancy" ignitors are not the
only way.

Still use just a pair of "D" cells to fire them off. You can
buy 200+ for a couple dollars at Fry's electronics.

Never had a misfire. Flameproof my butt! Try one by itself
sometime!

Bart

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Bashir Salamti wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:43:42 -0500, John T
wrote:

:Are model rocket ignitors the only way to set these off?
:
:John

They are the most convenient, least expensive, and most reliable way I
found. You can make an igniter from a short piece of nichrome wire
wrapped around a match head but they are not as reliable.

You can lite the coffee creamer biscuits with a fuse, usually, but
then the question is how to lite the fuse? Usually people wanted to
be able to push a button and get smoke, not run around with a
cigarette lighter.