Old September 15th 10, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

Default Future Club Training Gliders

On Sep 14, 10:09*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sep 14, 9:48*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:

On Sep 14, 7:49*pm, ray conlon wrote:

On Sep 14, 7:13*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:

I just talked to John Murray about other stuff, and he mentioned that
ASK 21 are actually remarkably easy to get right now. Our club
(chicago glider club) just bought a new ASK21, and it's a joy both to
fly and teach in.

John Cochrane

Get the Schweizers to bring back the 2-33's, the best BASIC trainer
ever built....

Yeah, and the Air Force is going to replace it's T-38s with AT-6s.
Sorry, but the 2-33 is simply not the right trainer anymore (if it
ever was, considering that it postdates the Blanik and is a
contemporary of the sweet little ASK-13!). *We need to attract people
to this sport, not drive them away screaming (or laughing,,,)

Kirk

Kirk, well said.

ASK-21 -- great solid and safe ship from a proven manufacturer capable
of supporting their fleet. Then get pilots into the Duos and DG-1000S
class club machines as soon as possible and you'll have more of a
chance of keeping them in the sport. At least give them lots of
chances early on to see what a high performance glider can do.

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

I am really curious. How many of you got into soaring with no prior
interest in flying? I wanted to fly since I was about 4 years old.
When I was 47, I finally got the chance, and almost all my lessons
were in a 2-33. Frankly I don't think it would have mattered to me
WHAT the club had to fly. I just wanted to be in the air.