Old July 9th 09, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Culbertson

Default A fair opportunity to compete?

On Jul 6, 6:50*am, ZL wrote:
ZL wrote:

The launch was slowed by the remote drop point. A bit over an hour for
the first 2/3 of the field. It felt longer as the last hope for lift
dwindled with the storm growing while waiting for a launch. And the day
never recycled in the valley, staying overcast and cool the rest of the day.- Hide quoted text -

All,

2cents - As the #3or 4 15m ship in line when the launch was halted, I
had a front row seat. The days descriptions contained here as well as
the pro and con comments all seem valid from my POV, and there’s the
rub, perfection is unattainable.

Keeping in mind, as Zl stated “I have no dog in this fight”, I would
add that although I can understand JJs disappointment and subsequent
reaction to “withdraw in disgust”, I respectfully don’t agree with
that decision. Additionally, I fully understand the reasons for and
the validity of submitting the original “protest”, but given its
lopsided impact, and it would have taken a better man than I to do so,
I believe it should have been withdrawn. No disrespect is intended to
the Protester, I know him fairly well and he’s a good guy.

I’m sure this will be looked at by the contest committee to see if
clearer guidelines are appropriate or possible, but as I said before,
perfection is unattainable, you play the cards your dealt.

21