Old January 20th 11, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Default BRS chutes. Why doesn't everyone use them?

On Jan 19, 8:35*pm, Sparkorama
wrote:
I'm just getting back into the sport after a long hiatus. I've seen that
a lot of glider pilots fly with parachutes (ones they wear) and I have
seen Ballistic Recovery System parachutes in planes as well. From my
layman's view, it appears that getting out of a plane using a
traditional chute after a mid-air collision seems exceedingly difficult
and time-consuming. On the other hand, BRS chutes seem to deploy very
fast and can be deployed very close to the ground. They can lower the
entire plane safely to the ground in almost any terrain, and a few
bruises to your bird or your body seems a lot better than certain death
if you can't get out of a plane after a mid-air. So if this is true, and
I am happy to say I am no expert, then why isn't everyone using these
things? I think they should be mandatory in every new glider built.
Thoughts?
Spark

--
Sparkorama

I tried to get info from BRS last fall and received no reply to two e-
mails and a phone call. Have the fallen on hard times (economy
issues)? I was ready to buy one, but before plunking down $4500 bucks
I need to know they will support the product.
JJ