Old April 4th 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

Lotta chatter about the LS-3. For the record, the LS-3 and LS-3a are two different animals. As someone noted, the original LS-3 tested equal to the ASW 20 in performance, FWIW. Most LS-3s now suffer from flat spots over the spar that hurt high-speed performance, though not climb. I owned one for 13 years and it's lovely to fly. I did profile out the flat spot and it ran with the '20s and Venti of the day just fine. Most won't, however, which is where the comments arise. The wings are, indeed, heavy (and awkward because they're trailing-edge heavy) but I solo rigged mine most of the time using the factory Komet trailer. Pay attention because trailers of that vintage may well need work.

The LS-3a split the flaperon into two pieces and is lighter. Early LS-3a models seemed to go well with later ones not quite so good. The explanation was thought to be thicker-than-spec airfoil cause by slight wing mold warping as production continued. I'm told it flies as well as the original LS-3. Some of them came with wingtip extensions.

As many have noted, the finish is very important, as is the trailer. You can upgrade instruments over time, especially with all the used stuff coming out of cockpits these days. Upgrading a complete finish and/or trailer is a lot more expensive/effort.

I'd pay attention to UH's advice about looking for a good Standard Class ship as an alternative. I've owned my ASW 24 for 27 years and still love it. It's a little more work to land short than my LS-3 which, in turn, was more work than our ASW 20. But they all come down. They're all fun to fly and go well. I've frequently flown against 15M flapped gliders at the regional level straight up. And now with the slight handicapping available in the Standard Class, the older gliders are very competitive.

Chip Bearden