Old February 1st 04, 03:24 PM
Snowbird

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message .. .
"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...
Could be. I'm not sure what "ear defenders" are

Like a headset but without the electric bits.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?P2EB31E37
http://www.transair.co.uk/jepdoubles...ardefs_big.htm

Pink! Cool! But actually, we used stock shooting-range or
industrial type hearing protectors, which are considerably
cheaper. Tasco Golden Eagle is one brand which fits a small
infant beautifully. Peltor II is another. The top does need
to be filled in w/ extra padding and a cloth, but I think that's
a benefit, just makes them more comfy for small head. They typically
cost US $15-20 through industrial safety supply places, and of
course have the benefit of being useful for adults as well.

I *think* by the time the child is old enough to register a
preference for pink or green, they are old enough that the
trip will be better if they are able to listen to their favorite
songs while flying, so I'd go for a headset at that point (they
don't need to be plugged into the ICS, one can buy various adaptors
at Radio Shack to hook a headset to an ordinary cassette or CD
player. the music will be rather soft unless one takes care of
the impedence matching issue which several archived posts explain).

I suppose I should note that my concerns arise from experience
entertaining a small child on multi-leg trips sometimes
lasting two days (ie 6-9 hrs a day flying) and that someone who
is only trying to take a child around the pattern twice might
find pink or green earmuff-style protectors the perfect solution
and music etc a needless hassle.

Last night we were in an electronic store looking at televisions,
and said small child gravitated to the portable DVD players like
a bee to nectar so I suppose soon simple music will be passe' .
Naturally she preferred the $600 Sony to the $188 Brand X, but
at $1/wk allowance it will be some time before she can afford
either one.

Cheers,
Sydney