Old June 24th 04, 05:15 AM
Greg Copeland

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:52:01 -0500, Kurt Weber wrote:

Because, apparently, it wasn't. I stated that the AVSIM website is slow to
load. You suggested methods for possibly speeding up the size of downloads
from their file library, which had nothing to do with my comment that the
website itself is slow-loading.

One of the most common causes of a, "slow to load", site is for the
serving site to not have enough bandwidth available. Thusly, I offered
that using BT will improve the site's available bandwidth (latency
to boot) because it helps shift the bandwidth burden away from the serving
site. Thusly, leaving more bandwidth for serving pages. I did state that,
"slow to load", can mean so many different things. You never once, in
spite of my comment, offered more detail. The fact that you're talking
about running FS2004, means that you should have a fairly reasonable
computer, thusly, "slow loading", should not be related to your computer's
speed, unless you have serious problems (virus, trojans, or spyware
perhaps?). For me, the site loads lightning fast and I don't have a
super powerful computer. That leaves us with two primary canidates. One,
your pipe is too small, which I addressed, and two, the server pipe is too
small, which I addressed. Both of which, you seemingly rejected.

If on the other hand, the data is getting to you and the page is simply
not being rendered in a timely manner, in spite of the data being
available, it *suggests* that you have problems with your computer. One
option, as I provided (which should address your crashes too), is to
install mozilla or firefox (http://www.mozilla.org). For many websites,
mozilla, and especially firefox, are able to render pages more quickly
than IE. While technically, that's not, "slow to load", it is often
confused as being one and the same.

All of these facts are why I not only addressed your comments, but why
Peter is currently scored very, very low in my reader and close to
becoming part of my kill file. Thus far, Peter is proven that he knows
enough about technology to be dangerous and no more.

Hopefully this addresses your comments and questions.

Sincerely,

Greg