Old April 19th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack

Default DG-300/303 owners...

Marc Ramsey wrote:

Glaser-Dirks was pretty clearly responsible for establishing the
inspection protocols and record keeping requirements. Apparently they
didn't consider this part of the manufacturing process important enough
to monitor. Why would Elan or AMS keep record of something that
Glaser-Dirks didn't request?

An at least equally valid supposition is that the original
manufacturer and certificate holder could not imagine that someone
would take shortcuts in the process which could be expected to
result in a substandard product. Doing so not only deviated from the
specs but could be expected to actually reduce the strength of the
wing, according to DG-FZB.

Thank you for reminding me that AMS is in Slovenia and not in
Germany. However, the point was obvious -- that the employment of a
good translator would enhance their presentation to English speaking
customers. The neglect of this nicety is consistent with their
disregard for proper production techniques. All in all, their
involvement in the production of any glider will likely remove that
glider from my list of prospective future purchases.

Jack