Old August 7th 03, 03:00 PM
Andy Durbin

(Snead1) wrote in message ...
I am currently flying with a Cambridge GPS NAV and a L-Nav. I would like to up
grade or add equipment to help me fly the Turn Area Task. What works well and
what are the important features that can aid in making correct decisions while
flying the Turn Area Task?

Bill Snead
6W

Bill,

You need to have a good prediction of your finish time based on
current ring setting, task distance left to go, average speed up to
now, and current wind estimate. I also find a graphic depiction of the
turn areas to be very useful.

In addition you need the ability to move the turnpoint in the area
before you reach it and to easily reset it to the point that you
actually turn at. Of course those turnpoint moves should result in a
new estimate of time to complete the task.

Look carefully at candidate systems to see if they support these
features. There are different methods for moving the turnpoint, some
systems do not use the wind estimate to calculate the finish time,
some systems do not support the much needed "turn now" function.

Andy (GY)