Old December 9th 03, 11:38 PM
Jerald Malin

I played with it at the AOPA Expo. I loved their HSI screen. It will give
the Garmin 196 panel screen a run for its money. It is much more detailed
than the HSI screen on the 500.

The screen was dim, as (they claimed) it did not have the back light in yet.
Supposedly, it will have a similar back light as the 500, which is very
bright and visible.

It is much bigger than my 300. But on the other hand, I won't have to squint
at the display to see it.

The reviews on the Airmap 500 were very positive, and the 1000 is supposed
to be the same thing but bigger screen. The 500 wont have as detailed an HSI
screen as the 1000 due to screen size.

The yoke mount is significantly beefier than my 300. The external antenna is
active, giving significantly better sensitivity, and the WAAS is also
active, giving much better accuracy. I understand the manual is much more
understandable.

I am waiting for them to hit the street, and I will probably upgrade. I do
like the non-propriatory memory card, and the fact that they supply
everything, CD's, mount, etc, everything BUT the wall wort for power inside.
Updates will be over the internet for $35. That beats the $75 and send back
the chip.

They still have runway extensions, and obstructions which seem to be missing
on the Garmin units.

My only regret is they didn't have the screen in color. Watch, I will buy
one, and they will announce a color screen.

Jerry Malin
Warrior N82045

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message

I was looking at this unit on the web and it looks great. If anyone has

had any
hands on with this it would be interesting to hear first impressions or

even
second or third.

R. Hubbell