Old August 21st 04, 04:00 PM
Ron Natalie

"An Metet" wrote in message

I was flying from Green Bay, Wisconsin to the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan. Very shortly after takeoff I noticed that my air speed
indicator said over 200 mph. That's just not bad in a Cessna 150!

Go somewhere with a longer runway to give you some leeway (your
tendency towards safety is going to mean you'll like to come in faster
which means you'll float a long way).

In a 150 it's not an event. You still have the stall party horn and even
without that, there are lots of cues well before the stall...(small cessnoids
have a real pronounced wind noise change).

I've had a couple of pitot/static failures over the years. One was when Margy
was flying and we lost the pitot (bug). We went over to an 8000 foot runway
I just told her if she hears the horn to nose it over immediately. Non-event.
Got the tube blown out and proceed on our way. Later that night at Friar
Tucks we were relating the story to a guy at the bar, and he said he has an
alternate pitot inside the cockpit. Margy kicked me as she could tell that I
was about to inquire how fast the air was moving inside his cockpit.

Twice I've had the static system plug up. Both times VFR. In one case
we had an alternate static, but just for jollies we shut it on approach and taxied
up to the maintenance shop with the ASI still reading 50 MPH. In the other
with my Navion, the only real issue I had is deciding when to drop the gear
(the gear speed on the Navion is low: 87 knots). I used the GPS groundspeed
coupled with the AWOS winds on downwind to verify I was OK. Once the gear
is down in the Navion, it's hard to in normal maneuvering to exceed the extension
speed.