Old December 16th 12, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

Sean (HA)

See my comments to your statements: Rick Walters (3R)

Kirk, great comments. Interesting thought about opening up handicap range at Regional contests to encourage participation.
Keep in mind for the first time ASW20 B and C's are excluded from current WGC. Maybe because the ASW20 is expected to be a formidable glider given soaring conditions in Argentina. Some say (others don't) that B and C's are better performing than ASW20 A. This is likely the reason for current exclusion because of WGC locaton.

I don't believe this is the first time ASW20B&C have been excluded from a CC WGC. There were no ASW20A,B,or C flown in the 2008 CC WGC or the 2010 CC WGC. I think this (Argentina) is the first time an ASW20A has ever been allowed. B&C models are higher performing due to their increased weight,and blown turbulators. They would handicap out at 1.09 so they could not be flown with winglets or overweight because that would put them over the max 1.09 handicap allowed by IGC.
3R

For US Club Class purposes ALL 15 meter ASW20's (A,B and C) should be included.

So you are proposing not following IGC rules? 3R

For some reason the RC is against an FAI CHOICE. We have a significant voice from those who ACTUALLY will fly Club Class saying WE WANT US FAI CLUB CLASS. Why won't the RC support us, the customer? So far only the RC and a few who have no intention of flying Club Class are opposed.

You say only a few who have no intention of flying the CC are opposed. I flew the 2008 Sports nats in a CC approved ASW24 and won. And yes, I am opposed to a strict adoption of the IGC CC rules. 3R

Sean Franke (HA)