Old February 26th 05, 03:24 AM
Steve.T

Ok, I fly IMC at night, single engine on the east coast. Granted, they
aren't as high as the Rockies or Sierra Nevada mountains. But day or
night, they still don't provide a good place to land.

When I fly at night, I have two flash lights (minimum), spare batteries
for both. If any light in/on the plane is not working, it is a no-go.
The GPS must have the most current map, the VORs must have just been
tested (e.g., in air, VOT, etc.), both radios must be functional, I
carry both VFR and IFR charts and both are marked for planned flight. I
generally file for 7,000 to 10,000 (well above the Min altitudes) and
ask for direct. My wife generally is following along on the VFR charts
to know where the closest airport is (and we use the GPS to assist in
this). Oh, did I mention I also have a hand-held GPS as well? And I
work at *NOT* getting into icing conditions (probably why the plane has
been in the hanger since November 04).

I am 49, 330+ hours, have a family that flies with me in IMC.

Regards,
Steve.T
PP ASEL/Instrument