Old February 26th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Narrowing it down... Comanche?

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message

I think a lot of that is that the Mooney has tank slit visibility, so it
feels very enclosed compared to a Comanche or a Grumman Tiger or a Beech
Bonanza. I'm just a shade under six foot tall, but because I have
relatively long legs and a relatively short body, I feel like I'm
permanently IFR in a Mooney (new ones or old ones, it doesn't seem to
matter). I seem to see about ten times as much out of a Bonanza by
comparison. (That's also what I've got against the bigger Cherokees too,
they seem to have enormously long noses and my Cessna 140 had better
visibility for taxiing than a Piper Lance!)

The thing is, if you put a cushion in the Mooney to sit on so you can
see where you're going, then your head bangs on the roof!

Now, I think we're really getting to the heart of the "roominess" issue of
Mooneys as it applies to me. Dylan, I'm the opposite of you: about the
same height, but all trunk and short legs. If "head bangs of the roof" is
an issue, with or without a cushion, I will almost certainly have issues. I
see it all the time in small cars--I love my friend's BMW Z3, but I can't
ride in it unless the top is down, or I literally have to ride hunched
over....

--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight