Old May 8th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Catheter question

A few comments;

1) The combination of a catheter and urine bag is the way to go (no pun
intended) in my book. When you need to go, there is no thinking about
it or fiddling with anything. Well...maybe some thinking

2) The bag has a one way valve at the inlet side and a twist lock drain
at the outlet end. It guarantees whatever has flowed into the bag,
will remain in the bag.

3) I often have the urine bag uphill from the "point of effluence".
Every cathether based system has this "issue" to a certain extent.
But, because the whole thing is sealed, this has never been an issue
with me. With a bag, after landing I can stand up and drain the whole
shooting match end-to-end. If you are embarassed by an exposed bag, I
have in the past strapped the bag to my calf with the elastic straps
that are provided with every bag.

4) Between the bag and the catheter I use surgical hose. There is a
barbed connector that comes with the bag. The catheter is basically
also a hose fitting. Therefore you need a male-to-male barbed
connector (jeez, that sounds nasty) to make the final connection.

5) I never went with the external relief tubing as my glider is
standard certified and I was worried about any modification.

6) My first effort to get myself equipped was at a medical supply
store. After spending some time explaining why a pilot would need
something that is generally relegated to geriatric wards, the clerk was
able to help me with all my initial needs, connectors, bags, etc.

7) Stick with Mentor brand Clear Advantage with Aloe. Get ahold of
some Detachol if you are worried about the seperation of you from the
catheter.

Give it a try, you can always go back to your current method. Good
luck.