Old July 10th 03, 02:04 AM
James Linn

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
ubject: Is shooting down a V-! better than shooting down an ME 109?
From: "James Linn"
Date: 7/7/03 5:07 PM Pacific Daylight Time

And a V1 is a one shot deal - often hit a farmers field not London. And

an
ME 109 might strafe a column, or shot down a bomber or fighter, land come
back and do it again.

Have you seen London after it has been hit by a V-1? I have. It ain't a

pretty
picture.

Your B26 carried the same load or more, and carried it farther, and dropped
it more accurately. Your pilot adjusted for headwinds, crosswinds, and bad
target intelligence. If it was a choice between sending your crew or a V-1
against the same target - which would you chose?

The V1 was put into service because the Germans couldn't hope to get air
superiority over Britain by 1944.

The stats I read about how many hit their targets is pretty telling. 8 out
of 10 never made it, either because they were shot down, or missed their
target. Once they got the hang of where to place the guns, AAA was pretty
successful at shooting them down.

James Linn