Old October 17th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default SAFETY TOOLS IN OUR COCKPIT

On Oct 17, 3:39*am, Ian wrote:
On 16 Oct, 19:53, wrote:

The *TOOLS *a Radio (121.5), SPOT (911), *ELT (armed *on *panel),
PLB (on *parachute *harness).

At my club we all carry pyrotechnic mini-flares as well.

Ian

Ian, where I fly in the USA I'd be very hesitant to use a rocket flare
because of fire dangers. And personally, although good flares are
carefully designed, I just don't like the idea of carrying
pryotechnics in a motorglider carrying lots of fuel - there is enough
stuff there already to go wrong.

In the UK rocket or smoke flares may make more sense but I think SPOT
is a pretty amazing device for clubs that have internet access and can
use real-time tracking (aka SPOTcasting) to track glider locations.
Williams Soaring Center where I often fly from has SPOT messengers for
their rental fleet and many of the private owners there are now flying
with their own SPOT messengers. The operations staff track the SPOT
locations during the day and the "help" signal is used to request
landout retrieves - in addition the the standard VHF radio/radio
relays. The issue with SPOT in a club situation is the device user
interface is not obvious and people need to understand how to get into
SPOTcast mode etc. A good thing to do is to have the club operations
staff confirm they are receiving a SPOTcast signal before or soon
after the glider takes off, just make it a standard thing to to. And
there needs to be some standardization of what OK/help messages mean.

So just thinking about the signal category of survival equipment here
is a list of what I carry. Shelter, hydration, food, navigation,
medical/first-aid and protection are separate categories to think
about, although there are overlaps. (and remember it's really about
preparation and planning and your own personal need, not just lists of
toys)...

On person/cargo pants pockets
- cell phone
- printed telephone numbers/contact list (don't rely on the list in
the cell phone)
- telephone calling card
- cash and credit cards

On parachute harness in an Allen Silver SMAK pack or in pockets sewn
in the sheepskin pad
- 406MHz PLB with GPS, current battery, registered with NOAA with up
to date info including glider registration, FBO phone numbers, etc.
- parachute canopy (spread out, a great orange/white high visibility
target)
- signal mirror (retroreflective aiming type, low cost and much
better than trying to use a CD etc.)
- whistle and lanyard
- mini-flint firestarter and tinder (fire danger!)
- aluminized mylar survival blanket (shiny side out may make s high
visibility target).

In glider
- VHF radio
- Sectional charts/Garmin GPS/flight computers etc. with database of
VHF radio frequencies
- SPOT Messenger, with up to date contact info and a shared SPOT page
and trusted people with full access to my account.
- Handheld VHF radio with NiMh rechargeable battery pack
- Xenon strobe signal light
- Spare battery pack for VHF radio with AA style battery pack and
LiFeS2 batteries
- Spare LiFeS2 batteries for SPOT and VHF handheld (Energizer Lithium
non-rechargable, long shelf life, work at very low temperatures and
huge power capacity)
- Adapter cables for cell phone and VHF radio to power from the ships
batteries
- high intensity LED "tactical style flashlight (great for signaling
but also get one with multiple light levels so you don't blind
yourself at night).
- Spare CR132 Lithium batteries for tactical flashlight
- Additional aluminized mylar survival blankets (shiny side out may
make s high visibility target).
- Avgas, engine oil, paper rags, foam seat cushions etc. (I usually
fly a motorglider) suitable for starting a signal fire if safe to do
so - but as already mentioned I'd be very hesitant to do so given
where I fly)

Other signal related things to consider carrying...
- Iridum sat phone (in USA, other choices overseas) with spare
batteries, cables etc.
- A dedicated emergency cell phone with better coverage (e.g. if you
daily use an AT&T GSM iPhone like me you may want a cell phone with
better coverage for where you fly (e.g. Verizon CDMA)).
- A laser signal flare. These are getting very impressive and good
ones are daylight visible but expensive $200+ (e.g.
https://www.greatlandlaser.com/index.php?productID=162).
- Survival booklet with information on ground/air signals etc.
- For two seat glider carry two of all personal signal items, e.g.
signal mirrors, whistles, etc. preferably on each person/parachute.