Old December 22nd 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,recaviation.owning
Brian Whatcott

Default Crazy Buy of the Week

Wondering round the dimly lit used-goods store and there it was - a 40
cu ft nitrogen bottle. The store was in a closing down sale so the
price was right - for a current bottle and regulator.

But then of course, there was the little matter of a coiled air line, an
air chuck, a gas refill ($25), swapping the adapter to 1/4 inch pipe,
adding a quick connect, sketching out a 2 wheel trolley and buying a
pair of wheels etc., etc...

And the funny thing is: I know plane tires are often nitrogen filled,
but I can't imagine why. The bottled gas man said there is a growing
market for nitrogen from the local car dealers too. And that seems even
more unlikely.
Perhaps I'm biased - but I watched the Myth-busters doing their worst to
set a tire on fire, up to and including pouring gasoline over it
while making smoke with a muscle car - and failing!

Moreover, I have replaced at least one tire with perfectly usable tread
left: the Dallas ozone cracked the external case like you wouldn't believe.

Still, a toy is a toy.....

Merry Christmas!

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK