Old January 19th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Soft Release?

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
Gary Boggs wrote:
I think the practice of attempting a soft release should be
eliminated. In my opinion, pulling the release with tension on it is
much safer.

As someone whose training was in 2-32s, I disagree. The soft release is
a useful technique. Too many times I've had to pry the release
mechanism back out with a big screwdriver.

I'd have to agree with Jeremy on this. Although I still use the soft
release on a "high performance" ship. I have a Schreder-design
towhook. It seems to be a robust design. But why subject it to more
stress than necessary? I was first taught the soft release technique
by a CFIG in Hemet. I use it most of the time now. The procedure
seems perfectly safe. I won't complain about less wear on the release
mechanism. No tow pilot has complained.

Regards,

-Doug