Old January 14th 05, 09:55 PM

Todd
The transition time between 2 vs 3 point is a relatively short one on
takeoff or landing! To combine the techniques you describe are fine if
they work for you. Here is "MY" take on it for what its worth.
When I am working, I don't make any money unless the spray handle is ON
and any time on the ground cuts into my income. So, I try to minimize
that time by making the shortest possible takeoff, and the shortest
possible landing that puts me very close to the load ramp. Very common
practice in ag aviation. Most of the time we work in low wind
conditions to avoid any chemical drift, and often the DA is high with
temps. So, the vast majority of my landings are wheel landings at
minimum speed and the tail drops immediately when I cut the power -
regardless if piston or turbine. I'll keep forward pressure on the
controls until the tail comes down and then apply full aft stick to
keep it there as well as assist in steering. Nearly all of the modern
spray planes have a locking tailwheel that is unlocked by a full
forward movement of the stick which pulls the locking pin out of detent
by means of a cable attached to the elevator controls. It requires an
immediate turn to keep the pin from dropping back into detent and
locking the tailwheel again. That is something that takes a little
getting used to. Sometimes when it won't unlock, you add power and
forward stick to get the tail up off the ground while you do a delicate
balancing act turn using differential braking. I learned that technique
in the mid 60's when we were loading on a levee and didn't have room to
turn and keep the tail on the levee. That too took some getting used to
but after a little practice it was Ho-Hum.
Per your technique of 0 flap and 65 mph, what is happening while you
dissipate the additional speed? Is it not possible to land slower using
judicious power to touch down well under control, and with little
flying speed to get rid of once you are firmly planted with all 3?
And, a technique I have used many times on a variety of strips, is to
make the final approach at an angle into the wind and touch down on the
downwind side of the runway crosswind. That makes my landing roll more
into the wind and takes out some of the XW component. There have been
times when I had no choice but to use that technique in both single and
twins.How severe an angle you can make of course depends on the width
of the runway, wind velocity, etc. After touchdown you let the wind
push you back towards the centerline and you end up parallel to the
runway. That is the simplistic description but has worked for me.
Forgive me if I have taken the discussion in a different direction but
felt a more complete answer was called for.
Cheers
Rocky