Old January 4th 20, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Start flying with glider self launch certificate?

On Saturday, January 4, 2020 at 9:36:57 AM UTC-7, James Stauffer wrote:
Is it harder to get a first pilot certificate for glider - self launch vs.. normal powered aircraft near St. Paul, MN? It seems like a self launch glider certificate would be a great way to start because of better stick and rudder skills, lower age requirements (for my son), cheaper operating costs, glider hours apply toward power aircraft requirements, etc but I'm concerned that it might be a bad path because it appears to be rare and hard to find instruction near St. Paul, MN.

I would suggest getting a glider rating rather than worrying about self-launch. There are good groups at Faribault, MN, Osceola, WI, and Stanton, MN. Once he has gotten the glider rating it is easy to add a power rating later..