Old July 22nd 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

Default OSH traffic picking up

Jim Burns wrote:
Hai,
http://www.100ll.com/showfbo.php?Has...d18018459a0 d
Here's 3FM's fuel price $3.80. More choices lower on the page.
Good luck with the weather, take your time, leave yourself plenty of
alternatives.
Jim

Jim,
It's 3:30pm and the line of the thunderstorm had just passed our
area. It's a bit late to leave now so it will be early tomorrow
morning.

Thank you for the research on fuel price. If it is VFR weather, we
will have more choices and don't have to stick with airports with ILS,
VOR or NDB approaches. A better equipped plane will give us more
flexibilty. I am having fun tracking Doug Stewart's flight track from
1B1 to KOSH. You probably had heard of Doug, he was National Flight
Instructor of the year in 2004. He has also given quite a few of safety
seminars (a very good speaker by the way). At the last safety seminar
"Flying the Hudson River VRF corridor", Doug told us that he was
taking Bob Martens (a well-liked former FAA Safety Program manager) for
his first Oshkosh trip. Doug has a very well-equipped Cardinal RG
with stormscope, Garmin 386, Garmin 430, autopilot etc. His flight
track showed that he had made good use of his weather avoidance system,
skirting to the south of the line of thunderstorms. He is on the
second leg of his trip departing KFKL crossing the southern tip of Lake
Erie heading to KOSH.

Checking out the new Garmin 496 and other alternative XMweather is
part of the reason for our Oshkosh trip. We also plan to purchase the
JPI EDM700 and an oxygen system. An IFR certified GPS is on the next
year purchase list. I would love to hear some long-time plane owner to
tell us that we will not need anything after those purchases. BTW, when
Doug gave the seminar on single pilot IFR, we teased him by stating
that with two instrument-rated pilots in the family, we don't need no
stinking autopilot. I remember he said something like what if one of
you wanted to take a nap. It will be nice to have it someday so that
we can both snooze ;-)

Hai Longworth