Old July 25th 11, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Default First hand experience with GPS Jamming

On Jul 24, 11:52*pm, Alfaest wrote:
'Steve Leonard[_2_ Wrote:

;777762']Got my first experience with GPS Jamming. *Apparently, lots of
truckers on I-35 near the Kansas-Oklahoma border were jamming today.
I would go from 8 satellites showing on my GPS Nav Display (Cambridge
Model 20 GPS) to none, lost distance to turnpoint, lost ground track,
lost bearing to turnpoint in the blink of an eye. *Typically, after a
minute or two, the GPS Nav would resume navigation with three
satellites showing. *It would in rather short order (10-15 seconds)
get back up to tracking 8 satellites. *Repeat process in 2-5 minutes.

I am assuming this was GPS jamming, as nobody else flying from
Sunflower reported any sort of issues, and it only happened in this
one stretch along I-35. *Interestingly enough, it happend only once (I
think ) after I crossed to the east side or I-35. *Maybe I was just
far enough from the jammers.

My flight is uploaded to OLC. *If you download it and watch it in any
playback, you will see me stop, then jump forward. *This particular
GPS has worked perfectly before and since. *It was only this one brief
section of one leg of the flight. *Of course, it really gets your
attention when your display goes all dashes, and the computer says
"GPS Wait".

Anyone else had an "encounter" like this?

Just curious

Steve Leonard
Nimbus 3 VJS

The GPS jamming device is really a kind of gadget that block the signal
of a GPS unit. I hit upon a website that sells lots of jammers like the
cell phone jammer and GPS jammer, it ishttp://www.jammerall.com/, you
can go there and take a look , it's really funny.

--
Alfaest

This product can send mess codes to create interference to block
signals from the GSP satellites and the typical jamming range is 10 to
20 meters.

10-20 meters? how would that jam my GPS in a glider at altitude?