Old June 1st 19, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Your First Land Out

Mine was in 1976 in 1-26 #308 in a fairly urban area, Framingham Massachusetts. I was flying with MITSA out of the Norfolk MA airport and went north on a sketchy day after Rick Sheppe commanded simply "don't land back here" (his way of cutting the apron strings). I don't remember much of the flight except near the end I worked a thermal off the GM Framingham Assembly Plant for a while but could not get away the area and landed without incident in a Middle School athletic field. Rick, ever the practical joker arrived after an hour or two without the trailer. When I asked where the trailer was he responded, "Darn, I knew I had forgotten something!" He had hidden the trailer around the corner from the field. Rick remains a lifelong gliding friend mentor and resource. I later went back with the glider and made a presentation about gliding to the kids at the school.
ROY