Old July 20th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Constant speed prop question

John Smith wrote in
:

In article ,
Thomas Borchert wrote:

originated out of military teachings that applied to very different
pilots doing very different things while flying very different
aircraft.

Actually, it couldn't have been all of the military. Many major
cities in my home country of Germany would contain many more historic
buildings today, if those B-17s hadn't run oversquare and lean of
peak. The B-17s would never have reached them.

We can all say thank you Charles Lindberg for teaching us this
technique.

Well, the 38 pilots in the pacific could, but leaning techniques as well as
a lot of other things about how engines work, were well known to both
manufactuers and pilots in the 30s. Some, strangely, have been lost in the
mists of time only to be "rediscovered" when things go wrong. Remember the
Lycoming crank problem? Moisture in the hollow portion of the shaft just
behind the prop?
i have several manuals, one form the 1920's , that address this problem and
guess what? The same cure recommended in the SB for the lycomings was in
those manuals.

Bertie