Old March 24th 16, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default Gelcoat Sanding

hi Peter, here's the finish sanding process I use on every glider we refinish. first let me say there are many ways to arrive at the same result. i'm the blonde guy hank called on near the end who was standing against the side wall.

i take sections of wing and draw a line with pencil from leading edge to trailing edge every 18 inches or so. then, with 800 (you can use 600) you'll sand two sections at a time using spanwise strokes, working from leading edge to trailing edge. each time you finish two sections, move up 1 section, so you are overlapping and hitting each section two times as you move down the wing. repeat the process for each grit. truth be told, i do 800, 1000, and 1500. change paper alot, it goes dead quickly. especially with old hard gel-coat.

now, for the literal coup de grāce: after doing sections of 1500, wet the whole wing down, and walk back and forth, root to tip, doing single strokes that last the whole wingspan using spent 1500. you won't be sorry. if you do a ton of that at the end, the wing will look buffed before it's buffed, and it will also shine up much easier.

if you want more detailed explanation on the actual process, email me: brayera at gmail dot com and i'll give you my number so we can talk. if your wing is crazed, don't wait to do this. the longer you wait, the worse off you are. sometimes, if you catch crazing **early**, you can save the finish. no matter what stage your crazing is at, polish hard and often from now on and you'll squeeze some extra years out of your finish.

-Andy

On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 4:20:54 PM UTC-4, vontresc wrote:
So after attending Uncle Hank's presentation at the convention I have been
inspired to sand out the crazing in my gel coat. I am planning on the
600-1000-1200-1500 wet sanding process and then buffing out the finish.

I understand the basics, but does anyone have a good primer on the process?

Thanks

Peter