Old May 18th 04, 12:11 AM
Vaughn

"Neptune" wrote in message
BlankI hate to sound paranoid, but I had put on a posting asking for
information on oxygen systems. It disappeared after several days. I
reposted - same thing - was gone several days later. I then posted what I
thought was a nice bit of information and suggested preflight for the D1 -
same thing - gone after several days.

Frankly I was unaware that anyone could - either technically or ethically -
erase someone else's post. Maybe this isn't what is happening, if so -
anyone have any idea what is? The messages were in HTML - should this make
any difference?

David,

First; as others have noted, your posts are still there. For some reason,
perhaps because of the settings in your own computer or because of the
particular news server you use, you can't see them.

Second; why don't you better define your basic concern? Are you concerned
about preventing oxygen-related aircraft accidents (not a large category of
aircraft accidents) or is there a possibility of cumulative physiological damage
from years of flying with inadequate oxygen? Or, (and this is OK too) is your
interest in this subject purely academic?

Is there really one oxygen flow rate that is optimum for all humans? I
doubt it. It seems to me that the only truly "safe" oxygen system would be one
that is individually, continuously and automatically regulated by pulse
oxymetry; but that same system might actually be unsafe compared to the 1960's
technology because of the opportunities for failure.

As simple and cheap as pulse oxymetry has become, perhaps what we really
need is a simple monitoring and ALARM unit designed for cockpit use. I happen
to have a Nonin Flitestat but find that it has severe limitations in the
cockpit.

Vaughn

David Reed M.D., Boulder CO